Dialectic Icon

I can’t seem to get Dialectic working with my iPhone, what am I doing wrong?

When using Dialectic with an iPhone, you only need to pair your Mac & iPhone via Bluetooth — no need to connect them, Dialectic does this when it dials. This does not require any additional service features for the phone, just the built-in Bluetooth. If you are having problems, here are the exact steps required for using the iPhone with Dialectic for dialing:

1. On the iPhone, go to Settings > General > Bluetooth and make sure Bluetooth is On.
  2. On this same Bluetooth settings screen on your iPhone, if your Mac is listed in the Devices table, touch the disclosure button next to the Mac’s name and in the detail view, touch “Forget this Device”.
  3. On your Mac, go to the Bluetooth pane of the System Preferences application and make sure Bluetooth is enabled by checking the “On” button.
  4. If your iPhone is listed in the device list on the left side of the Bluetooth preferences screen on the Mac, select it then click the “-” button at the bottom of the list to remove it.
  5. At the bottom of the Bluetooth preferences screen on the Mac, press the “+” button to add a new device.
  6. Follow the onscreen prompts to add a new device. If there is an option “Select Device Type”, choose “Any device”. Continue and select your iPhone then follow the default prompts until the iPhone and your Mac are paired then quit the System Preferences application. (Make sure that your iPhone is on and active (i.e., the screen should be on and not be prompting you for a passcode) with the Bluetooth screen visible showing the status “Now Discoverable”.) At this point, you are done pairing your Mac & iPhone. Again: you do not need to connect the two, Dialectic will do this when necessary.
  7. Download the latest version of the free “Configure for iPhone” utility from the Dialectic resources page:

http://www.jonn8.com/dialectic/resources/GeneralDialingConfiguration/ConfigureForIPhone.zip
  8. Once downloaded, expand & run the utility script.

This should do it, so attempt to dial. If the call fails, please follow the steps above exactly. Again, only pair the iPhone to your Mac, do not connect it.

For more information, see the iPhone connection screencast.